I'm done with university. I only had one semester left to do, with two classes. One was a laboratory class, where, with a team of 3 other people, we had to calculate the efficiency of a shell and tube heat exchanger for it's whole range of operation. The other was a capstone design class where we designed, but not built, a diesel portable power unit.
The lab class was...fun. One of our teammates kept writing weird things...like..."Heat is the measure of the sensation of hot and cold"...wow? Anyway! The set-up looked like this:
The tube and shell heat exchanger is on the left. At the bottom of the exchanger there's a set of valves that permit the exchanger to be operated in either parallel or counter-flow configuration. On the right there's a water cooler along with it's tank, and behind the exchanger there's a water heater, also with it's tank. Temperature could be taken at 3 points in the head exchanger, using thermistances.
The capstone class...well, it took time. And while I didn't enjoy the subject too much, I really loved working with that team. One of the things I've worked on was a 3D-printed control panel.
|The 3D printed control panel printing.|
Now that school is out, I can re-start doing other projects! The first order of business is cosplay. There's a sword I've been working on for years (!) that I need to finish. I was scared of doing the detail on the handle and pommel, but with Nadeshicon coming soon, and me wanting to have a life and go out at cons...and not wanting to learn to sew yet...well, I guess I did it.
I had tried to carve out the details at first, but it didn't look right...so instead, I took a page out of Bill Doran's book (well...not his actual book...but still...) and made the details out of craft foam!
That makes the 4th material/fabrication method used in this sword. It has literally become a capstone prop making piece. There's wood carving, resin casting, 3d printing, and foam fabrication.
It was also my first time using my new dual-action, gravity fed airbrush and mixing my own paint. I'm really happy with the result too!
And finished! Here it is next to it's sister.
An old camera from a fighter jet that I disassembled
Ironwood's gun from RWBY
A cast of my own torso!
And I have way more projects that are in the work! So stay tuned!